Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Me and my many older black women.

I don't tend to talk much when I'm not in the company of my friends or family, so it is hard for me to fathom a reason why others, particularly black women, approach me with conversation. I'm never deep in thought, and I am certainly not being interrupted by the ladies. I can only imagine they do it to everyone.

That being said, how often does small talk turn into a MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME FAVOR?! I'm willing to bet not often. I was in the checkout line at Pathmark, feeling like shit because I knew I was spending too much money on my food when an older woman approached me.

OBW: *motioning to her train of shopping carts* How much you think thats gonna cost?
ME: *faking some emotion while responding* um...more than I am ever willing to spend to eat. I'd rather starve.
OBW: *smiles* Where does your food start?
ME: I got from the eggs back there to the oatmeal.
OBW: *turns to the cashier* Go ahead and just ring this *motions her hands over my shit* up with mine.
ME:



ME: Are you offering to pay for my stuff?
CASHIER: *puzzled as I am, shrugs*
OBW: Yeah, I got it.

End result, she paid for an extra $200 worth of food. I hightailed it out of there before anything could ruin my situation.

Just today, another talkative OBW struck up a conversation with me about popcorn which led to her telling me where I could buy some brand name cereal for like a damn dollar. She was right!

I gotta keep this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment